Timothy Lutts heads one of America’s most respected independent investment advisory services, publishing 12 advisories to over 200,000 subscribers around the world. He leads a dedicated team of professionals who serve individual investors with high-quality investment advice based on time-tested Cabot systems.
Timothy is also the chief analyst for Cabot Stock of the Week and is a regular contributor to Cabot’s free email newsletter, Cabot Wealth Advisory.
Take a look at Tim’s personal website: Contrary Opinion– “more than an investing philosophy.”
Under his leadership, Cabot advisories have been honored numerous times by Timer Digest, Hulbert Financial Digest, Dow Jones MarketWatch and Timer Digest as the top investment newsletters in the industry. In 2007, Cabot was the only publisher with two investment advisories, Cabot Market Letter and Cabot China & Emerging Markets Report, ranked among the top 10 investment newsletters by Hulbert. The two publications were also recognized as Best Financial Advisory Newsletter by the Specialized Information Publishers Association: Cabot China & Emerging Markets Report in 2008 and Cabot Market Letter in 2009.
After working in this business for more than 25 years, Timothy says, “There are 10 things I know. The first six are directly about investing, the final four, indirectly.
- The business of investing can provide great rewards to those who work at it and are willing to learn. Those who refuse to learn will lose money.
- To succeed as an investor in growth stocks, it’s best to buy when upside potential dwarfs downside potential, to cut losses short, and to let winners run.
- To succeed as an investor in value stocks, it’s best to buy low and hold patiently, until the stock is fully valued.
- Your greatest enemies are your own emotions and the well-groomed fellow who reads the evening news with a heartfelt–but undeserved–sense of urgency. Try to ignore them both.
- On the other hand, use your imagination to consider how great companies might evolve, remembering the power of the unforeseeable and the incalculable. When it began renting DVDs by mail, did anyone imagine Netflix could become a leading producer of content? When it began selling books, did anyone imagine Amazon would eventually sell almost everything?
- For over two centuries, the long trend of the markets has been up, reflecting the growth of asset values, and I recommend that you invest in synch with that trend. Your greatest ally is time.
- As to the world, globalization is a powerful trend that is positive for the world as a whole. Embrace it, looking forward, not backward. Change has great growth potential.
- The growing shift away from dependence on fossil fuels will bring major economic rewards, major health rewards, major environmental rewards and major political rewards. Invest to take advantage of it.
- In the meantime, keep on learning. Not only will it help you become a better investor, it will keep you young.
- Lastly, have faith in the ability of intelligent, innovative men and women to adapt, as they always have, and to solve the problems of the future in ways that are unimaginable to people of today. Invest in these people when you can.
Timothy has appeared on numerous podiums as an investing expert, including Bloomberg TV and the World Money Show, led Investor’s Business Daily discussion groups and been interviewed by Dow Jones MarketWatch,TopStockAnalysts.com, VoiceAmerica.com, AOL Finance and numerous other business news organizations.
Articles by Timothy Lutts
The market’s upside action this week, in the wake of the Fed’s interest rate cut, has been unusually bullish by many technical measures. But I’m not going to write about that today. I’ll leave that to ace technical analyst Mike Cintolo, who weighs on...
Growth investing and value investing are two primary investment strategies. But it's important to know exactly how each strategy works.
This digital payments company is forecast to grow by 55% this quarter and 69% next quarter.
In selecting today’s stock, I swung back to the aggressive side, prospecting among Mike Cintolo’s latest recommendations in Cabot Growth Investor. This stock has great upside potential.
Analysts expect this financial services company to grow at triple-digit rates in 2017.
NMI Holdings (NMIH)
From Cabot Stock of the Week
NMI Holdings (NMIH) is a provider of private mortgage insurance that was started in 2013 to take advantage of the opportunity presented by the of...